[MlMt] Folder with ? or è or à

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Sep 10 14:14:33 EDT 2013

On 10 Sep 2013, at 13:28, Olivier Bedouelle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following the discussion this morning, I tested AltaMail.app on my
> ipad. software created folder with names containing accents or ?

That may be a violation of RFC3501 Sec. 5.1, which strictly defines
mailbox names as 7-bit. There is a defined mechanism for representing
non-ASCII characters in mailbox names using a modified UTF-7 encoding,
but it has historically had flawed support in both clients and servers.
There is also an extension defined for general UTF-8 support including
mailbox names, but servers that support it must be explicitly told to
enable UTF-8 by an IMAP client before they send that client UTF-8
strings. As a practical matter, it is very risky to use non-ASCII
characters in mailbox names in an account that is used with diverse
clients because there is a diversity of incorrect implementations of
both of those mechanisms across clients and servers.

> MailMate does not accept this type of folder and crashed miserably.

Which is clearly a worse flaw than AltaMail asking the server to use
non-ASCII characters in a mailbox name or the server doing so. There is
a recommended handling of 8-bit names which does not include any words
like "crash" or "miserably." :)

> I had asked my provider to delete the files on the server to restart
> MailMate.

You are fortunate to have a responsive provider.