[MlMt] GPG passphrase issues

Sun Sep 8 16:42:18 EDT 2013

On 7 Sep 2013, at 23:29, list at felix-kling.de wrote:

>  Detail: gpg: DSA key 2ADC63E5 requires a 224 bit or larger hash
>  Detail: gpg: signing failed: General error
>
> So, the problem seems to be the option `--digest-algo SHA1` (sha1
> generates a 160 bit hash). If I remove it, I can sign a file
> successfully. This might be because my key is 2048 bit, I don't really
> know though. The gpg2 documentation says about the `--digest-algo`
> option:

As far as I understand the standards only require implementations to
support sha1. Using anything else might result in the recipient not
being able to verify the message (RFC 4880 Section 9.4).

I don't think the problem is the key being 2048 bit since my own key is
that as well.

Googling I found a mailing list message which indicates that the problem
might be how the key was generated:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2009-November/037617.html

>> Use  name  as the message digest algorithm. Running the program with
>> the command `--version` yields a list of supported algorithms. In
>> general, you do not want to use this option as it allows you to
>> violate the OpenPGP standard. `--personal-digest-preferences` is the
>> safe way to accomplish the same thing.
>
> I don't have enough knowledge about gpg2 to say which option really is
> required and which isn't. Maybe you can make it possible (somehow) to
> let the user modify the options that are passed to gpg2? (as hidden
> preference or something like that).

I could perhaps allow the user to change some select arguments, but most
of the default arguments are not something that should be allowed to be
changed. MailMate relies on them.

Note that quite a lot can be controlled using the preferences file:

	~/.gnupg/gpg.conf

> But regardless this issue, I wanted to tell you that you did a really
> great job with MailMate. It's exactly what I was looking for :)

Thanks!