[MlMt] GPG passphrase issues

Felix Kling list at felix-kling.de
Sun Sep 8 05:29:45 EDT 2013

On 7 Sep 2013, at 23:29, list at felix-kling.de wrote:
> The command that MailMate executes is:
>
>     gpg2 --no-verbose --batch --no-tty --openpgp --status-fd 2
> --digest-algo SHA1 --textmode --armor --detach-sign --local-user
> "<…>"
>
> and the full error message is:
>
>      Result: Failure
>      Output string (0): ""
>      Detail: [GNUPG:] USERID_HINT 9C791B1A2ADC63E5 Felix Kling <…>
>      Detail: [GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE 9C791B1A2ADC63E5
> 9C791B1A2ADC63E5 17 0
>      Detail: [GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
>      Detail: [GNUPG:] BEGIN_SIGNING H2
>      Detail: gpg: DSA key 2ADC63E5 requires a 224 bit or larger hash
>      Detail: gpg: signing failed: General error
>
> So, the problem seems to be the option `--digest-algo SHA1` (sha1
> generates a 160 bit hash). If I remove it, I can sign a file
> successfully. This might be because my key is 2048 bit, I don't really
> know though.

I created a new 4096-bit RSA key and I could sign without any problems.
So either the problem was that I used a DSA key for signing, or a
2048-bit DSA key. At least we know what the problem is, I might not be
the only one with that issue (now or in the future).
But, in the light of recent events, it might be wise to create a new,
longer key anyways.

Also, this time the GPGTools passphrase dialog popped up, so the problem
with my homebrew setup probably is that the corresponding `pinentry`
application only works in the console.