[MlMt] GPG passphrase issues

Sat Sep 7 16:13:03 EDT 2013

On 7 Sep 2013, at 11:59, list at felix-kling.de wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2013, at 21:31, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> MailMate expects the GPGTools install and is hardcoded to the
>> location used by GPGTools. Unfortunately GPGTools recently changes
>> its installer. MailMate expects to find gpg2 here:
>>
>> 	/usr/local/bin/gpg2
>> [...]

> That explains at least why it didn't work with GPGTools at all. Though
> it should have worked with the homebrew version, shouldn't it?

Depends on where homebrew installs gpg2 (I haven't tried homebrew
myself).

> I guess it really has something to do with my gpg-agent setup, since
> it seems to work fine for other people.

You might be right.

> Interestingly though, after creating the symlink to the GPGTools
> version, MailMate still tells me that the signing process fails, with
> this output:
>
>  USERID_HINT 9C791B1A2ADC63E5 Felix Kling <…>
>  NEED_PASSPHRASE 9C791B1A2ADC63E5 9C791B1A2ADC63E5 17 0
>  GOOD_PASSPHRASE
>  BEGIN_SIGNING H2
>
> This confuses me even more!

Me too, but even though I've implemented support for OpenPGP via `gpg2`
I don't really have much experience with the types of problems which may
be the result of non-standard setups.

You can enable some related debug output from MailMate like this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDebugSecurity -bool YES

Then launch MailMate from the Terminal to see the output when MailMate
tries to sign a message:

	/Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate

Most importantly, MailMate outputs the `gpg2` command with arguments.
Based on that you might be able to reproduce the problem in a Terminal
window without using MailMate.