[MlMt] Future Feature Thoughts (was Crowd Funding 2014)

Scott Blystone geek at blystone.net
Tue Oct 29 10:19:05 EDT 2013

All,

I think that Ryan has some good thoughts on this subject, and his
response got me thinking a bit more even though I do not agree with him
on all the details.

There is a need for something at least somewhat unique here. I have some
experience with Postbox and have some thoughts which might apply here.
The BIG problem (IMHO) with Postbox is that it is based on the very old
Mozilla 2.x code. Yet, they have managed to add on some interesting
features. They have integration with Dropbox and social networking
sites. Personally, I could not care less about Facebook, Twitter or
other social networking links, but the Dropbox integration seems quite
useful. Dropbox has recently opened up their API's some it's addition
into MailMate might not me all that difficult. Perhaps the addition of
Google Drive and/or other network storage systems would also be
desirable. Sometimes I need to send large attachments. Although my mail
service and bandwidth are adequate for most anything I would want to
throw into an email, many people I know are quite limited by either
either their ISP or email provider. The ability to quickly, easily and
simply attach a link to a large file into a MailMate message might be
very useful.

I'm also thinking about a companion Android and/or IOS client. Maybe
someone else would need to help with this given Benny's current time
constraints. I doubt that Apple would allow an application of this type,
but I'm sure Android would be no problem. I'm not thinking about a
full-fledged MailMate for Android here, but what about a companion
application that might be able to access a copy of Mail Mate running on
a Mac somewhere to perhaps quickly search the message base and return
the results. Does anyone else have any ideas along this line?

--
Scott Blystone
Rochester, NY, US

CAcert Assurer (see http://www.cacert.org)