[MlMt] Moving folder inside another without drag'n'drop?

Thu Oct 24 15:28:08 EDT 2013

On 24 Oct 2013, at 20:57, Germain Guglielmetti wrote:

> is there any way to move a (non-empty) folder to make it a subfolder
> of
> another one via alt-cmd-t or right click? As in Outlook 2011 > Right
> click
> on folder > Move folder... > type another folder name in the pane.

Sorry, no.

> I tried via drag'n'drop and I'm not sure it worked fine too, because I
> got
> a "cannot delete folder xxx because it contains n messages" error
> message.

Hmm, I cannot reproduce that. IMAP doesn't really support moving (or
even renaming) mailboxes. What happens is that MailMate creates the new
mailbox, copies the messages, deletes them in the original mailbox, and
finally, deletes the old mailbox. I very rarely move mailboxes myself,
but I don't currently have any bug reports about it.

I just tried it in one of my accounts and it worked (except that I
discovered an unrelated bug which meant I couldn't move it back and get
the original name).

Maybe MailMate was somehow unable to delete all messages of the original
mailbox?

Could you create a mailbox with a few messages and then move it around
to see if you can see some pattern to this behavior? For example, does
it fail for all accounts?

Also, if it fails then you can do the steps described manually: Create
new mailbox, move the messages, and then delete the old mailbox. That
might reveal more about the nature of the problem.

> So I did it again from Outlook and saw the edit instantly on the
> distant
> webmail.
>
> Currently I've only tried to move folders from the same IMAP mailbox
> only.
> I searched the help and the ML archive with no luck.

MailMate should also be able to move between accounts as well (it's the
same steps that needs to be taken as described above).

Thanks for trying out MailMate.

http://freron.com/crowdfund2014/