[MlMt] Set From: field depending on recipient address

Erik Mueller-Harder edmh2011 at erikmh.org
Wed Oct 23 15:53:14 EDT 2013

On Monday, Benny wrote:

> 5. Make “Sent Messages” configurable such that users can choose to
> configure it as a smart mailbox instead of a universal mailbox (or
> maybe allow it to behave like both). This doesn't work
> 'out-of-the-box' and for a user with many email addresses it could be
> tedious to setup conditions (most often it would work using names
> only).
>
> I think 3 and 5 are the most interesting. I like 3 because it would
> work  out-of-the-box and I like 5 because it's highly configurable. It
> could be both, but I guess I'm still undecided (leaning towards 5).

To which Alberto just responded:

> I've taken some time to think about this, and I'm still not sure of
> what the best solution could be (for my use case, at least), but I
> like the configurability of 5 too.

I’m inclined to agree, even though I’ve had *dozens* of e-mail
addresses since the 1980s.

It seems to me that even people with very common names probably don’t
communicate with more than a vanishingly small number of other people
with the same name — and that it would be trivial to create a smart
mailbox that first included a name and then excluded particular
addresses representing the “false positives” of those who shared
your name.  And that’s probably the worst-case scenario.

— Erik
(who-admittedly-isn’t-aware-of-sharing-even-his-*last*-name-with-anyone-else-in-the-world-other-than-those-in-his
immediate-family) Mueller-Harder