[MlMt] Reply to selection of text

Wed Nov 27 09:30:35 EST 2013

On 27 Nov 2013, at 10:37, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2013, at 10:29, Jeff Holland wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Would it be possible and sensible for you to base the text selection
>> on the plain text body part of the message (if one exists), and only
>> convert the HTML as a last resort? (To do this automatically behind
>> the scenes regardless of the "Prefer plain text" setting, I mean.)
>> Would this give you better results?
>
> No, it would probably be a lot harder to locate the corresponding part
> of the plain text body part than it would be to improve the direct
> handling of selected text in the HTML body part (in some cases it
> would be impossible). It's far from impossible to improve the latter.
> It's mainly a question of priorities. I have an idea though with
> respect to how I could improve this without too much effort... I'll
> give that a shot ;-)

I did. Since I don't really use this feature then it would be nice if
you (and others) tried it out. Hold down ⌥ when clicking “Check
Now” in the Software Update preferences pane (r3866).

The technical part: MailMate now asks the webview for the HTML markup of
the selection. This is then given to an external HTML to Markdown
script. (The previous solution involved me, naively, traversing the
parsed HTML tree (DOM) myself.)

http://freron.com/crowdfund2014