[MlMt] Markdown numbering in lists not honoured?

Tue Nov 26 10:36:20 EST 2013

On 26 Nov 2013, at 14:49, Jason Davies wrote:

> Am I missing something? I thought this markdown input
>
> 1. item 1
> 6. item 2
> 1. item 3
>
> would produce, when formatted,
>
> 1. item 1
> 2. item 2
> 3. item 3
>
> but it never seems to work here...

It's on purpose and it's a good example of how MailMate uses Markdown
(which is different than most other email clients I suspect).

Background info: A typical rich text message has two body parts as
subparts of a so-called `multipart/alternative` (MIME) body part. One
body part is plain text and one body part is HTML. The receiving email
client can show either of these. By default MailMate shows HTML, but
this can be changed in the Viewer preferences pane. Some receiving email
clients can only show plain text.

In MailMate, the plain text body part is the raw Markdown text and this
is naturally a problem if lists are renumbered. The current solution is
to not do renumbering such that this fact is not hidden from the user. A
better solution might be to implement a Markdown to Markdown conversion,
also for other reasons…