[MlMt] SmartyPants

Sat Nov 23 15:26:16 EST 2013

On 23 Nov 2013, at 17:57, Brett Terpstra wrote:

> There's no SmartyPants processing in the Markdown handler, is there?
> Is there a pref I missed?

Nope, I've never added/enabled it. The Markdown handler is based on
`sundown` (previously known as `upskirt`). My changes for the purpose of
emails are [here](https://github.com/freron/upskirt). It's still in
flux, because I don't take the time to carefully consider the
(important) details.
[Here](http://blog.freron.com/2011/thoughts-on-writing-emails-using-markdown/)
are my original thoughts on using Markdown for emails.

> If not, I think that would be an ideal addition. Half the point of
> writing emails in Markdown for me is to have all the punctuation come
> out correctly without having to think about it... (<- that should be
> an elipsis :) ).

Good point. One caveat is that I would really not want to generate HTML
just because some punctuation is used, that is, SmartyPants should be
somewhat independent of the Markdown conversion. That's an
implementation note for myself :-)

(Currently, MailMate does not generate an HTML body part if it doesn't
find any Markdown-related markup in the generated output. I really do
prefer plain text messages whenever possible.)