[MlMt] Prevent line wrapping in plain text emails

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Mon Nov 18 22:55:50 EST 2013

On 18 Nov 2013, at 18:09, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2013, at 19:02, Jeffrey Horn wrote:
>
>> On 18 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Sherif Soliman wrote:
>>
>>> An added followup: I've noticed that this happens with some
>>> replies/threads and not others. In one thread the wrapping of the
>>> lines in the quoted text changes as I resize the window, and in
>>> another it remains fixed to the 72/73 limit. Not sure what the
>>> difference is.
>>
>> Sorry I can't help with your original request. But I think it's
>> likely that some messages are wrapping and others not based on the
>> type of e-mail replied to, that is HTML or text. I hesitate to
>> speculate further.
>
> Bill covered the issue of “format=flowed” in a separate answer,
> but you are probably also close to an explanation of what Sherif
> experiences. MailMate always uses the plain text body part of a
> message to create the reply (since the composer in MailMate is for
> plain text only). This is not ideal for Gmail messages since their
> plain text body parts do not use “format=flowed”. Instead,
> paragraphs are hard-wrapped. This is not the case for the HTML body
> part of these messages.
>
> There is no easy fix for this, but I'm aware of the problem.

Bill, I appreciate the detailed description of the issue. It helps me at
least understand what's happening.

Benny: Thanks for the reply. So if I understand this correctly, there is
no way to stop this from happening when replying to emails from Gmail
contacts? No pref I can modify to stop MailMate from wrapping the quoted
paragraphs that way when replying?

— Sherif