[MlMt] How to specify Gmail's Important tag?

Mon Nov 18 17:18:49 EST 2013

On 18 Nov 2013, at 22:55, Jonathan Clark wrote:

Sorry about the late reply.

> On 18 Nov 2013, at 21:26, Jonathan Clark wrote:
>
> […]
>> Trying to add a Condition where Tag includes "Gmail/Important" or
>> "Important" don't work either. And I can't test for
>> "[Gmail]/Important" as I can't define an IMAP term with angle
>> brackets in the tags dialog. (Well, it allows '[' but not ']' oddly
>> enough. Bug?)

No, it's an IMAP restriction.

> And to add to this, I went into Gmail settings, and discovered that
> the Important label wasn't being published over IMAP. I'd changed that
> setting ages ago for reasons I now can't remember. However, after a
> re-start or two, MailMate doesn't seem to be showing the "Important"
> label under Gmail source or [Gmail] folder.

Yes, MailMate ignores it because it leads to duplicates messages.

> (And it has picked up other label changes I made in Gmail settings at
> the same time.) More and more curious ...

The “Important” label is a special case. Its Gmail label name
should, in theory, be “[Gmail]/Important”, but it isn't. It's
“\Important” instead.

So, you should define a tag named Important. It could then use
`Important` as IMAP keyword as well, but the Gmail label must be
`\Important`.

There seems to be a problem with MailMate picking up this change. I had
to select messages and use “Message ▸ Reset…” to make MailMate
pick up the label (as a tag). You might want to just remove the account
and re-add it if it's not a big account.