[MlMt] How to specify Gmail's Important tag?

Jonathan Clark jonathan at clarksonline.me.uk
Mon Nov 18 16:55:54 EST 2013

On 18 Nov 2013, at 21:26, Jonathan Clark wrote:

>> I'm just guessing, but I suspect this is saved as a virtual header in
>> Gmail. Might want to research that. When creating a smart mailbox
>> condition, click "Other" at the bottom of the drop down. I see
>> "Importance" listed, but don't know how it would work since I've
>> moved away from Gmail recently.
>
> Thanks -- I'd searched for "Important" not "Importance" in the "Other
> ..." list, and so hadn't found it. It's not clear what it means, and a
> few simple tests with it haven't done anything noticeable.
>
> I suspect the tag/flag is available outside GMail somehow, because
> I've tried a third-party Mac OSX mail client that knew the tag/flag.
> It's the recently-launched AirMail, and in the preferences it maps
> "[Gmail]/Important" to this internal special flag/tag.
>
> Trying to add a Condition where Tag includes "Gmail/Important" or
> "Important" don't work either. And I can't test for
> "[Gmail]/Important" as I can't define an IMAP term with angle brackets
> in the tags dialog. (Well, it allows '[' but not ']' oddly enough.
> Bug?)

And to add to this, I went into Gmail settings, and discovered that the
Important label wasn't being published over IMAP. I'd changed that
setting ages ago for reasons I now can't remember. However, after a
re-start or two, MailMate doesn't seem to be showing the "Important"
label under Gmail source or [Gmail] folder. (And it has picked up other
label changes I made in Gmail settings at the same time.) More and more
curious ...

Regards,

-- Jonathan