[MlMt] Deleting, moving, marking as read, and threads (new user questions)

Mon Nov 11 10:52:40 EST 2013

On 9 Nov 2013, at 9:41, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2013, at 3:10, Rob McBroom wrote:
>
>> First, is there any way to automatically mark messages as read when
>> deleting them (and ideally when moving to Junk)?
>
> First, hold down ⌥ when clicking “Check Now” in the Software
> Update preferences pane to get r3832 of MailMate. Then go to the
> General preferences pane and enable *experimental* 2.0 features.
> Finally, double click the “Deleted Messages” mailbox and add a
> rule with no conditions, but simply an action to enable “Seen”. I
> think that should work (and you can do the same for Junk).

I’ve only been able to test it once, but it appears to be working. And
by the way, I’m really impressed that I can define the rule on the
non-existent “Deleted Messages” thing under Mailboxes, saving me
from having to do it for each actual folder in every account. Thanks!

>> Semi-related to that, I typically view messages in a separate window.
>> When I delete the message, the window closes, but if I move it to
>> Junk, it stays open. I have the “Close window after move”
>> preference enabled.
>
> That option is related to ⌥⌘T.

OK. That reminds me: Is there some technical reason you can’t use
⌥⌘T on a message when it’s open in a dedicated window?

> You can define a [custom key
> binding](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/custom_key_bindings) which
> moves to junk and closes the window, but that won't work for the
> default toolbar button.

I’ll try that. Thanks.

> And I also think it is a problem that MailMate does not select the

Nooooo! I was trying to be brief, but my original message almost
included a huge thanks for **not** re-using the existing window to open
another message when I delete. Many clients do that and… I won’t say
it’s the worst software feature I’ve ever seen, but I can’t think
of a more annoying one right now. At the very least, make it optional.
:-)

>> If you delete, move, or mark as read with a collapsed thread
>> selected, it affects all the messages. But double clicking a
>> collapsed thread or selecting it with the preview pane enabled
>> doesn’t *show* all the messages.
>
> This would essentially be a so-called conversation view which
> currently does not exist in MailMate (MailMate can display multiple
> messages in a message view, but that is rather primitive). It's
> non-trivial to implement this, but it is one of a few items high on my
> list (as usual, no promises or time frame).

I’ve seen the “primitive” view. That’s what I meant by “show
all the messages”. It might not be as fancy as what Mail does, but
it’s better than only seeing one of the messages.

I can’t imagine the difficulty of properly implementing something like
that. Especially marking messages as “seen” as the user scrolls,
hiding useless garbage from top-posters, etc.

> When reading/deleting/archiving messages I strongly recommend using
> the keyboard only, but I do get your point. (Note that ⌥ also works
> with right-arrow to expand a thread.)

I am normally a keyboard person. (Just [look what][1] I spend my time
on.) But for whatever reason, I always go for the mouse in a mail
client. I think it’s because it’s a much easier way to switch
folders and select the correct message from a long list (which I seem to
do constantly). ⌥T and ⌥⌘↓ probably cover 90% of this, if I can
just train myself not to reach for the mouse.

> Thanks for trying out MailMate.

I can’t believe I didn’t know about it. I heard about it through
Alan’s message about TextMate under 10.9. I just contributed to the
crowd funding effort (even though I’m only 90% convinced I’ll stick
with it). There’s some amazing stuff in here, but I won’t make this
message any longer by going into great detail.

[1]: https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/commits?author=skurfer

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/