[MlMt] Markdown broken in latest builds?

Tue Nov 5 03:14:54 EST 2013

On 4 Nov 2013, at 23:45, Steve Mayer wrote:

> Did anything change in the latest MailMate build(s) in regards to the
> Markdown engine?

No major changes I think.

> I used to be able to escape Markdown characters with a leading
> backslash ('\') and the character would show up as the normal
> character.  With this latest build (maybe before then I'm not sure),
> the '\' character shows up in the HTML output.
>
> For instance, this "This\_is\_a\_test".  As you can see, the
> backslashes are present. Before what would show up in the HTML output
> would be 'This _ is _ a _ test' (without the spaces).
>
> Thoughts?

For some time, MailMate has been better at detecting when Markdown is
not really needed and then not generate HTML. Maybe this is the problem.

So, writing a message with:

	This \*is\* a test.

Is going to fail because MailMate does not find any HTML markup after
Markdown conversion and only generates a plain text body part (including
the escapes).

But this won't fail, because non-escaped Markdown is used elsewhere
(triggering generation of HTML).

	This \*is\* a test. This *is* a test.

I might overlook something, but I think I can fix it by simply removing
any use of escaped characters when Markdown is enabled (and Markdown is
not really needed).

Does the above explain what you see?

(Friendly reminder: Please do not post both a lighthouse ticket and on
the mailing list. I see both instantly and then I have to reply twice
:-) ).