[MlMt] Multiple S/MIME Certificates

Sun Nov 3 10:15:53 EST 2013

On 3 Nov 2013, at 14:12, Scott Blystone wrote:

> Well, just to throw more gasoline on the fire, I also have multiple
> OpenPGP keys for the same identities and have been even more involved
> with that community! I know it's asking a lot, but something similar
> to what we've been discussing would also be great for OpenPGP keys. I
> like your popup idea and it could be applied to both S/MIME and
> OpenPGP.

Yes, it would be natural to make it work for both cases.

> Yes, some way of seeing at least partial details of a key/certificate
> is a must to ensure you have the correct one is vital, but there may
> be other ways of doing thins besides assigning display names (although
> it is a good idea!). Thunderbird does a pretty good job in this area.

And how do they do it?

MailMate could also remember which key/certificate has been used in the
past for individual recipients (similar to how signatures are
remembered).

> Apple Mail does a *terrible* job! Multiple certificates are a
> nightmare in that client.

I recently became aware that the keychain supports choosing an identity
preference. I assume this works in Apple Mail (I don't think it works in
MailMate, because I'm not using the correct 10.7 API, but I haven't
tested it).

> I have been a financial contributor to the GPGTools effort for Apple
> Mail, and that tool suite has gotten *really* good recently. But, they
> have "dumbed it down" to automatically select the key for you. In my
> mind, this was a step backwards.

I'm *guessing* it is a temporary situation.

> I have a lot of contacts in the security community that might be
> useful in getting the word out regarding MailMate and I will try to to
> so on an informal basis. I know that several people will ask me about
> these capabilities, however.

Noted. And thanks for spreading the word.

> I'm not a software developer, but I would like to help your project
> however I can. I just recently retired from a very large company after
> many years service as a network security and encryption engineer.

Sounds good. I need competent users who can help me do the right thing
when implementing signing/encryption related features.

http://freron.com/crowdfund2014