[MlMt] Multiple S/MIME Certificates

Scott Blystone geek at blystone.net
Sun Nov 3 08:12:50 EST 2013

On 3 Nov 2013, at 5:26, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Ok, I can see that it's not enough to be able to bind a sender address
> to a specific key/certificate as it is currently possible when using
> [OpenPGP](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences#openpgp).
> Maybe I should allow multiple certificates to be specified for each
> email address and then display those in a separate popup menu in the
> composer. That would also allow the user to assign display names for
> them since I'm guessing it might be hard to otherwise distinguish the
> certificates... (Not making any promises on a time frame here.)
>
> --
> Benny

Benny and All,

Well, just to throw more gasoline on the fire, I also have multiple
OpenPGP keys for the same identities and have been even more involved
with that community! I know it's asking a lot, but something similar to
what we've been discussing would also be great for OpenPGP keys. I like
your popup idea and it could be applied to both S/MIME and OpenPGP. Yes,
some way of seeing at least partial details of a key/certificate is a
must to ensure you have the correct one is vital, but there may be other
ways of doing thins besides assigning display names (although it is a
good idea!). Thunderbird does a pretty good job in this area. Apple Mail
does a *terrible* job! Multiple certificates are a nightmare in that
client. I have been a financial contributor to the GPGTools effort for
Apple Mail, and that tool suite has gotten *really* good recently. But,
they have "dumbed it down" to automatically select the key for you. In
my mind, this was a step backwards.

I have a lot of contacts in the security community that might be useful
in getting the word out regarding MailMate and I will try to to so on an
informal basis. I know that several people will ask me about these
capabilities, however.

I'm not a software developer, but I would like to help your project
however I can. I just recently retired from a very large company after
many years service as a network security and encryption engineer.

--
Scott Blystone
Rochester, NY, US

CAcert Assurer (see http://www.cacert.org)
StartSSL Notary (see http://www.startssl.org)

Note: This address also works for instant messaging.