[MlMt] Offline directories

Thu Mar 14 16:10:14 UTC 2013

On 14 Mar 2013, at 16:42, Vincent Noel wrote:

> Am I right then in thinking that moving messages out of the inbox into
> an
> Archive folder does not help mailmate ? Any message has the same load
> on
> mailmate, whatever its location on the imap server?

Yes, at least for some aspects of MailMate. If you have complicated or
many smart mailboxes based on Inbox or Archived then it might make a
difference.

> Is there any way to help mailmate then, apart from deleting the
> messages
> altogether? If I intend to keep very old messages (say older than 10
> years)
> for reference, what is the best way to do it?

Many smart mailboxes are based on “All Messages”. It might help to
use the trick for All Messages described in the manual:
http://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences.html#performance

But part of the problem are the header indexes which are not going to be
smaller if doing the above. If you have good online access to the
messages then you could move the old messages to its own IMAP mailbox
and then unsubscribe it. In that case you should of course worry about
backup if you do not trust your IMAP provider to handle that.

``