[MlMt] search using address book groups

Thu Mar 14 14:43:01 UTC 2013

On 14 Mar 2013, at 14:59, Dr Gregory Jefferis wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2013, at 9:25, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 14 Mar 2013, at 1:57, Dr Gregory Jefferis wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to set up a smart mailbox based on to/from etc
>>> being a member of an Address Book group?
>>
>> Sorry, this is not (yet) possible.
>
> OK +1 from me. Is there a feature request somewhere?

No, it has been asked (once?) on the list which means I have it on my
very long todo list.

> The reason I prefer address book groups (over the approach below) is
> that the groups are pretty clear and it's easy to change over time
> (e.g. people come and go from my lab)

I certainly agree that it would be easier with direct access to Address
Book groups. Another user has asked about being able to match on the
addresses specified in the IMAP accounts. This is similar to your
request and I imagine the solution (in the GUI) could be a special
comparison method for address-related headers. Something like this:

	Recipient [matches] [Any account]

The [...] are popups. The first popup offers “matches” as a special
comparison method for email addresses and the second one could then be a
popup like this:

     Account > Any Account
               Gmail account
               Business account
     Address Book > Any address
                    Work addresses
                    Private addresses
                    Some group

Just thinking out loud. It's not a trivial feature to add :-)