[MlMt] Delete Autocompleted E-Mail Address From To Field

Tue Mar 12 21:54:59 UTC 2013

On 12 Mar 2013, at 17:34, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 8 Mar 2013, at 8:20, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> It'll be very hard for MailMate to predict which one you want. I
>> assume you have the addresses marked as work/private in the Address
>> Book and what you need is some way to see this information in
>> MailMate when auto-completing?
>
> Rather than requiring an explicit marking of addresses, I'd rather see
> MM construct & sort the list more intelligently. One improvement would
> be to canonicalize & de-dupe addresses so that only the most
> frequently used version of functionally identical addresses is
> offered. For example, if I type my boss' first name into the To field,
> I get 7 choices in the pop-up, all of which have one of his addresses
> (his name is not very common) and 5 of which share functionally
> identical email addresses, with variations in the "real name" part and
> address capitalizations. I don't really care much which of those 5 I
> use, but it would be better to have 3 choices rather than 7, with the
> first one being the most commonly used form of the most commonly used
> address.

I would consider this a bug with respect to the identical entries in the
list. I don't see it often myself and it's not as bad as what you see,
but I believe I can reproduce it. I'll look into it.

With respect to not quite identical entries in the list then it can
quickly be more tricky to safely remove duplicates -- or even to decide
which duplicate to remove.

>> It would be really nice to be able to add additional information to
>> the addresses shown in the completion popup, but unfortunately I
>> haven't found any way to do this without having to rewrite the
>> standard GUI component used for the address field (an NSTokenField).
>
> More info in a pop-up menu is almost never a UI improvement. Based on
> the docs for NSTokenField, I think the reduced form of the completion
> menu would be a matter of writing a substantially smarter "delegate"
> for the field rather than reimplementing the whole NSTokenField class,
> but the space available for me to be misunderstanding that is
> unconstricted.

The delegate can only provide a list of plain text candidate
completions. I cannot even add an icon to indicate whether an entry was
found in Sent Messages or the Address Book.