[MlMt] mailmate Digest, Vol 28, Issue 6

Bruce Steinberg brucehs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 12:23:19 EDT 2013

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:56:03 +0200
> To: "MailMate Users" <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
> Subject: Re: [MlMt] Overwriting default keybindings
>
> On 9 Jul 2013, at 15:35, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>
>> Hopefully someone with more keybinding experience than me can help
>> out.  I'm trying to overwrite the standard keybindings for Reply,
>> a message, it is also marked as read.  I have these lines in my
>> custom
>> keybindings file:
>>
>> 	"@r" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', 'reply:');
>> 	"@R" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', 'replyAll:');
>> 	"~@r" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', "replyList:");
>> 	"@F" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', 'forwardMessage:');
>>
>> However, while messages are replied to or forwarded just fine, the
>> marking-as-read thing doesn't happen.  I know the keybindings file is
>> being loaded and used because other custom keybindings in the file
>> are
>> recognized.  Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong?  Or is
>> overwriting the default keybindings something that can't be done?
>
> Custom key bindings only work for keys that are not ?taken? by
> something else. In this case the standard menu items. For some of the
> key bindings it is probably possible to use System Preferences ?
> Keyboard ? Keyboard Shortcuts to change the default to some dummy key.
> After that your bindings would work. But I wouldn't recommend that.
> It's
> a mess and it wouldn't work for the reply-related menu items since
> MailMate dynamically change these key bindings based on Composer
> preferences.
>
> Your particular problem (marking as read) is better solved by rules,
> but
> you'll have to wait for me to release that feature :-)
>
> (I haven't yet looked into how hard it would be to override the menu
> key
> bindings. It would, at least, be tricky to both display the key
> binding
> in the menu *and* override it.)
>
> --
> Benny

You could probably create a workaround via [Keyboard Maestro][1]. I have
one that remaps ⌘↩ to ⇧⌘D (Send Mail). It should be possible to
create one that activates the keyboard shortcut for reply or forward,
pauses a second, and then activates the shortcut for marking as read.

I've also set it up to only be active within MailMate, so the remapping
doesn't effect anything else.

Some screenshots of mine:

![⌘Enter to Send][2]

![MailMate Activate][3]