[MlMt] Resend-Help with a script to create an event from an email

Fri Dec 6 04:16:02 EST 2013

On 6 Dec 2013, at 9:01, Torsten Grust wrote:

> I too use BusyCal and would love to create calendar entries from with
> MailMate.
> However, as fas as I can tell (I do hope somebody proves me wrong),
> BusyCal
> does not have an AppleScript dictionary, effectively rendering it
> non-scriptable.
> That's a siginifcant obstacle to a tight integration with MailMate
> (with any
> other application, for that matter).

Busycal has an alternative to using AppleScript based on a custom URL
scheme (similar to what is often done on iOS and what MailMate does for
the `mailto:` URL scheme):
https://support.busymac.com/blog/23829-busycal-url-handler

This can actually be a good thing since it's probably faster than using
AppleScript when launching a command from within MailMate.

Now, I'm not sure exactly how you want this to work, but it's certainly
possible to create a command which based on the currently selected
message (or selected text in the message) can create an event in
BusyCal/iCal/Fantastical (3 more bundles to be created). The main
problem, of course, is to convert text to event data. I could perhaps
implement a feature where MailMate can be told to analyze the message
(or selected text) with the data detectors in Mac OS X (10.7+) before
calling the external script. This could help find dates, addresses, and
phone numbers I believe. (Making no promises, just thinking out loud.)