[MlMt] mailmate randomly changes the sender address

David Levy entropydave at mac.com
Mon Apr 15 01:16:41 EDT 2013

Hi Tom

So far as I know, there is no way to disable this feature.  There is
almost certainly a way to reset your past usage history.  Benny (the
author) will know.

I have not encountered any behaviour like you describe.  There is
nothing random about the behaviour for me.  I have five accounts and
several of those have aliases, so I could send from any of about 10
addresses.

When I create a message, the sending ID is initially set to the account
currently selected in the message viewer, e.g. if a message in account A
is selected, then the ID of my new message is set to A.

The first address I type determines my sending ID after that, so if I
type in an address I have most recently sent to using account B, my
sending ID is changed to B.  Subsequent addresses do not change this,
unless I delete the first and type a new one.

So far, nothing random.

If I now wish to send to this person that I most recently wrote to from
account B, using account C, I can do that by selecting from the the
pop-up at the top of the composer window (or use ctrl-cmd-i which is
what I use to select addresses).  Then the message is sent from account
C.  So far, not random.

I do not know why you have four accounts, but I do because two are for
distinct jobs I do, one is my main address for most communication with
the outside world and one is for friends and family.  I find this
feature super useful, indeed it is one of the most winning features of
MailMate.  95% of the time or more, I only want to email work colleagues
from my work addresses and my friends and family from the account for
that.  MailMate makes that happen now with almost zero intervention and
no need to remember to check from which account I am sending.

You say that the addresses change without asking.  That is not my
experience.  My experience is that it is deterministic along the lines
above.  Maybe Benny can suggest a way to reset your history and that
will help.  However, if you are fairly consistent, the patterns should
quickly stabilise.

That said, to emphasise, if you change the sending ID in the composer
*after* you have put in your first destination address, MailMate will
behave just like Mail and other email apps.  It will not change the
sending account.

David.