[MlMt] Looong delays when MailMate talks to SpamSieve

Mon Sep 24 17:59:23 UTC 2012

On 24 Sep 2012, at 18:19, Torsten Grust wrote:

> is it only me or do people experience very long delays (~ 2 mins)
> when new e-mail arrives in the Inbox and MailMate tries to hand
> over the message to SpamSieve?   During the delay, MailMate is
> unresponsive and shows the spinning Beach Ball of Death.™
>
> Looking at the SpamSieve Log, it looks like SpamSieve does not
> receive anything from MailMate at all (before the problem occurred,
> I saw entries reporting message classifcation, rule application,
> etc.).
>
> Disabling SpamSieve in the MailMate Preferences makes the delays go
> away.

This is exactly what has been experienced by at least one other user.
You can see the related ticket here:
http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/286

And I have received reports from a couple of other users which could be
the same problem. It seems to have started a few days ago.

> I'm running SpamSieve 2.9.5 and OS X 10.8.2.  (A downgrade to
> SpamSpieve 2.9.4. didn't appear to help.  The problem might
> occur since the switch to OS X 10.8.2, I cannot tell for sure...)

Ok, so the problem is probably not SpamSieve 2.9.5. Have you tried
downgrading to MailMate 1.4.2 (r2818)?

I'm not on 10.8.2 myself, but I'll check that out. The ticket I referred
to above was also related to 10.8.2.

> I have
>
> defaults write com.freron.MailMate DebugSpamDetection -bool YES
>
> Where can I see MailMate talking to SpamSieve?

That would be in `/Applications/Utilities/Console.app`.