[MlMt] Search with google

Tue Sep 4 07:00:03 UTC 2012

On 4 Sep 2012, at 3:10, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 3 Sep 2012, at 15:05, Alexandre Takacs wrote:
>
>> I guess it's a system wide setting and not MM specific but how do I
>> setup which internet browser will launch when I select some text in
>> MM and do a "search with google" ?
>
> That service is provided by Safari, so to get another browser to
> perform the same function you'd need that browser to register a
> service with the OS. Completely outside of the realm of MailMate and
> not even really a system-wide setting so much as it is a feature a
> browser would need to offer.

That is correct if the question is about the Services menu (either in
the main menu or the context sensitive menu), but there is also a
“Search with Google” item in the context sensitive menu when
right-clicking a word (at least on 10.7). I looked into this since it
was not clear why that would not work with other browsers if the default
browser had been changed (in Safaris General preferences pane). A simple
implementation would simply ask the system to open a Google URL with the
search query.

MailMate uses most of the menu items provided by default by the Webview
class used for displaying messages. The relevant menu item is
programmatically identified as `WebMenuItemTagSearchWeb` and it does
insist on using Safari. I could overwrite this menu item with my own
implementation, but there is a twist. The menu item is automatically
renamed if the default search engine has been changed in Safari. For
example, it is named “Search with Bing” if I change the default
search engine to Bing. I am not sure there is a public API for accessing
this setting.

In any case, the solution is probably that I make my own menu item(s)
for searching and ideally it should be configurable. It would be
relatively easy to allow the user to specify multiple URL format strings
to be able to do any kind of URL lookup with the currently selected
word.