[MlMt] lock ups

Wed Nov 28 17:11:45 UTC 2012

On 28 Nov 2012, at 17:29, Timothy Wright wrote:

> It is definitely high on the memory side.
> When I started this email, it was using 1.3GB of RAM. 5 minutes later
> it is
> sitting at 1.71GB. It shows that I have 30mb out of 8GB of RAM free.
> Also
> regularly sits at 50% CPU.

The CPU is fine. The memory usage is high, but the main problem is if it
continues to increase. That would indicate that MailMate caches too much
information in memory while importing. I'm not sure how much memory is
used in regular use with 200K messages, but I wouldn't be surprised if
it's more than 1GB. I have >30K messages and right now it's at 170MB.

> When I open the activity viewer in MM, I see no indication of
> throttling.
>
> The total # of messages in the archive folders is not increasing.
> Perhaps
> due to the large # of messages, it is reviewing all of them to make
> sure
> they are synced up and that is taking ages, maybe never finishing?
> Just a
> thought. I know nothing about how IMAP works.

The way MailMate works is that headers are fetched before the message
bodies. This means that after the count of messages stops increasing
MailMate is still going to work on fetching bodies. So, MailMate simply
has not finished fetching message bodies.

> Activity monitors shows no throttling.
> I will send you the screen shot of what it shows.

I saw it in the message which was rejected by the mailing list software
because of the size of the image. One thing that puzzles me is that
there is only 1 connection to the Gmail server (note that you can select
a connection and if it is active then the bottom part of the window
shows a log of the connection). The account is fully synchronized.

> I ran the commands in terminal and it did not create any logs. I have
> restarted MM several time since then.
> THoughts?

I have no idea why that would not work. Could you recheck in
`/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/`.