[MlMt] MM as default mail client ?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Nov 14 20:14:40 UTC 2012

On 9 Nov 2012, at 2:43, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2012, at 0:37, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> I could have sworn that the iCal script replacement hack went away
>> with Snow leopard, but it may just have been that *MY* scripts broke.
>> Wouldn't be the first time...
>
> Now I had to check (I cannot trust my memory) :-) The script is still
> present on Lion:
>
> 	> ls /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/
> 	Mail.scpt
>
> In the release notes for r2980 I describe how it can be replaced by a
> script which works with MailMate, but that won't work on Mountain Lion
> :-(
>
>> Incidentally: there really isn't "blame" for this problem. Using the
>> "URL scheme handler" model as a basis for swapping out default apps
>> is generally a good idea, keeping the interfaces simple and defined
>> by open standards. The downside of that with "mailto:" is that it's a
>> very limiting scheme that comes nowhere near mapping the whole task
>> of composing mail. Apple isn't being evil and developers aren't being
>> lazy, it's just an inherently sticky problem.
>
> Calendar (iCal) on ML can still create a message with an attachment
> using Apple Mail. It may not be evil intent, but it is also not a step
> in the right direction :-)

Right. The problem is that Calendar needs to be able to construct a
complex message (especially complex because of the messy state of
support for flavors of iCalendar/vCalendar formats) and tell a MUA to
send it from a specific address. I expect the same is true for Aperture.
There's no way to construct a mailto: for that, so the solution is to
use the particular OSA interface that Mail offers. Even if another MUA
were to provide an identical interface there's no mechanism in MacOS to
make other programs use it.