[MlMt] MM as default mail client ?

Fri Nov 9 07:43:04 UTC 2012

On 9 Nov 2012, at 0:37, Bill Cole wrote:

> I could have sworn that the iCal script replacement hack went away
> with Snow leopard, but it may just have been that *MY* scripts broke.
> Wouldn't be the first time...

Now I had to check (I cannot trust my memory) :-) The script is still
present on Lion:

	> ls /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/
	Mail.scpt

In the release notes for r2980 I describe how it can be replaced by a
script which works with MailMate, but that won't work on Mountain Lion
:-(

> Incidentally: there really isn't "blame" for this problem. Using the
> "URL scheme handler" model as a basis for swapping out default apps is
> generally a good idea, keeping the interfaces simple and defined by
> open standards. The downside of that with "mailto:" is that it's a
> very limiting scheme that comes nowhere near mapping the whole task of
> composing mail. Apple isn't being evil and developers aren't being
> lazy, it's just an inherently sticky problem.

Calendar (iCal) on ML can still create a message with an attachment
using Apple Mail. It may not be evil intent, but it is also not a step
in the right direction :-)