[MlMt] New messages now have "To:" pre-filled-in

Fri Mar 23 21:04:48 UTC 2012

On 21 Mar 2012, at 14:18, David Vereschagin wrote:

>> The new thing is that the `To` header is also pre-filled if there is
>> a `List-Post` header available in the current context.
>>
>> How to change this behavior [...]
>
> So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I can turn off the derivation
> of the "To" address by turning off the derivation of the "From"
> address.  Since I like MailMate deriving the "From" address, and now
> that I have a better understanding of how this works, I'll just be a
> little more careful.

I have disabled the pre-filled `To` header in the latest test version of
MailMate. It can be fetched by holding down ⌥ when clicking “Check
Now” in the Software Update preferences pane. **Warning to everyone:**
It is fine to do this when asked to do so, but in general, a test
version can be anything. It can be unstable, slow, write out tons of
debug output, etc. It is often a version of MailMate made to debug a
single issue for a single user. That said, the current version should be
fine.

I have also disabled the existing derivation of the `From` header, but
this has been replaced by something else. The main idea is to replace
the black box heuristic by an explicit setting. This also makes it an
opt-in feature. I would appreciate feedback on this from anyone relying
on `From` header derivation. The following is the release notes of the
test version. (I know the description of the new feature should be
improved.):

---

Derivation of the `From` address for replies has been changed. Until now
it has been based on a heuristic using the `X-Original-To` header and
others, but examples from users have shown that this approach is a dead
end. This heuristic has now been disabled. The replacement is an
optional account setting named “Address Pattern” which is disabled
by default. The value for this option is a regular expression which
describes the format of any aliases for the account. For example, I can
use the following pattern for `freron.com`: `"mm-.*@freron\.com"`. When
replying to a message MailMate scans various delivery related headers
(such as `X-Original-To`) and if anything matches the pattern then it is
used for the `From` address. This happens after checking for addresses
matching any explicitly defined addresses in “Email Address(es)” in
the account settings.

Introduced `makeFirstResponder:` for key bindings. It can be used to
bind a key to directly activate a view. The identifiers for the views
can be found in the layout files. Here is an example for binding `m` to
activate the message view:

	"m" = ( "makeFirstResponder:", "messageView" );

Other changes:

* Improved headers editor for recipient addresses in the composer.
Previously, multiple tokens were created if pasting text in the middle
of an existing token or if tab'ing when the cursor was in the middle of
an existing token.
* IMAP mailbox states are now cached. This makes scrolling in the
mailboxes outline smoother. (Still work in progress.)
* Now bounces “Download” folder instead of opening it when saving an
attachment.
* Fixed “Edit ▸ Find ▸ Mailbox Search” menu item. It now works
correctly when selected using the mouse (previously it switched to
“All Messages”).

---

I won't be able to reply to messages until Sunday afternoon, so be
patient if the test version does not work for you. Go back to
[r2802](http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r2802.tbz) if
you have any serious problems.