[MlMt] Mailing lists and Mailmate

Thu Jan 26 08:13:56 UTC 2012

On 26 Jan 2012, at 8:57, Seebs wrote:

>> Now that may not be a bad idea, but the problem with NSTokenField is
>> that it is difficult to monitor drag events. As I wrote previously I
>> forgot the ugly details, but as I recall I concluded that the only
>> way forward was probably to subclass the so-called field editor (for
>> those who know Cocoa) and that was when I decided that it wasn't
>> currently worth the effort.
>
> Eww.
>
> No usable delegate for events?

No, NSTokenField handles drag'n'drop itself and does not provide any
easy way to augment or replace that behavior.

> FWIW, casual searching on my part shows only people saying "I wanted
> drag and drop so I had to subclass".

I already subclass NSTokenField and I believe I've googled and read
everything related to NSTokenField. It took far to long before I gave up
;-)

And speaking of ways to change the behavior of NSTokenField/NSTextField,
I would love being able to customize the view used for the list of
suggested completions. It should show where the address was found and
when it was last used, but I cannot do that either (without
re-implementing everything myself).