[MlMt] Mailing lists and Mailmate

Seebs mailmate-list at seebs.net
Thu Jan 26 07:57:20 UTC 2012

On 26 Jan 2012, at 1:49, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> I almost decided to give an answer to that argument in my first reply
> :-) First, anything is possible and I did not claim that it was not
> possible to do it. I claimed it was non-trivial.

Wait, a perfectly obvious function that any developer would want?
Non-trivial using an Apple API?  CALL THE MEDIA!  THEY MUST BE INFORMED
AT ONCE!  :P

I don't doubt that it's gratuitously hard, although it does seem like
they totally OUGHT to provide a reasonable way to do it.

... but yeah, not at all disputing that it's non-trivial.

> Now that may not be a bad idea, but the problem with NSTokenField is
> that it is difficult to monitor drag events. As I wrote previously I
> forgot the ugly details, but as I recall I concluded that the only way
> forward was probably to subclass the so-called field editor (for those
> who know Cocoa) and that was when I decided that it wasn't currently
> worth the effort.

Eww.

No usable delegate for events?

>> More generally, you could have a preference with a name like "only
>> allow a given address once in recipient fields".  At that point,
>> adding an address to a field implicity removes it from all others.
>> In practice we probably want that anyway.
>
> Good point. This also gives me an idea for a workaround in which I
> don't directly monitor dragging events, but instead monitor paste
> events and token insertions to implicitly monitor dragging events. It
> would not be perfect, but maybe it would be good enough.

That seems like it might be.  If you see a new token show up, it's a
reasonable guess that the user meant that.

FWIW, casual searching on my part shows only people saying "I wanted
drag and drop so I had to subclass".

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/179765-nstokenfield-drag-and-drop-autocompletion.html

looks like it's not too insanely much work, but I don't know whether it
does the right thing.

-s