[MlMt] These filters are awesome, but also confusing to me.

Emory L. emory at hellyeah.com
Thu Jan 12 04:27:34 UTC 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 3:43 PM, Seebs wrote:

> Oh, I am my provider.  But I would rather have the client do the work, just so all the filtering configuration is in one place.
>
> For now, anyway, the mmCommand I set up is Doing Well Enough, so I'm happy.

That's a really interesting perspective.

I always assumed most users prefer to do it all in one place server-side, because they have multiple workstations, different MUAs, mobile devices and tablets.  Needing to make sure a computer is on and running MailMate or some other MUA 24x7 to keep their email resembling sanity just doesn't seem like it scales very well.

It's one of the reasons that the old BlackBerry Redirector solution sucked so bad.  It relied on you leaving a computer running Outlook active so that you could get messages relayed to your BlackBerry if you didn't also run an Exchange or (lol) Notes server and have a BES.  It was dark times.