[MlMt] Writing in a format that is not utf 8

Thu Feb 9 21:59:40 UTC 2012

On 9 Feb 2012, at 16:31, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2012, at 3:11, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 9 Feb 2012, at 8:19, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>>
>>> I interact with a computer program by email (a Diplomacy judge to be
>>> precise) that mangles text with accents. It seems it's because I
>>> send the messages as utf 8 but it interprets and forwards them as
>>> ISO-8859-1. Is there a way to tell MailMate to send a particular
>>> message in a different encoding?
>>
>> No. I was also hoping such problems were an issue of the past.
>
> That's a refreshing bit of optimism, but sadly it does not yet reflect
> the real world. Despite a wealth of obviously right ways to do things
> like picking a message charset and encoding, legacy code and sclerotic
> wetware persist in perverse bugginess.

Given the number of workarounds in MailMate already I'll probably soon
lose any sense of optimism :-)

>> Anyone else on the list with similar problems?
>
> Yes and no. I have not encountered this yet with MM because I had a
> very slow transition from TBird, but there is a small subset of my
> *human* correspondents whose mail clients know nothing of utf-8 and
> who instead use either some Windows 'code page' (CP1252 being one, aka
> 'almost Latin-1', but I've also had need to use Indian and Chinese
> encodings ) or can only handle pure ASCII as the Elder Gods intended.
> This only forces me into a specific encoding randomly a few times per
> year but when I need a non-utf-8 encoding, I REALLY need it. It would
> probably be adequate for my needs to have a mode to
> force/squish/transliterate a message into ASCII since even when I am
> mailing someone who prefers Hindi or Cantonese, I am always only
> writing US English. (I am cultural imperialism in action!)

Since ascii is a subset of utf-8 then it may be “good enough” in
many cases even if the recipient client does not support utf-8. Unless
of course it refuses to display the content.

Just to be clear, a message which only contains ascii has no charset in
its Content-Type, so that should always work.

And also, please don't get me wrong. I do not oppose some kind of
charset feature (as long as the default is utf-8), but it is not (yet) a
high priority.