[MlMt] Writing in a format that is not utf 8

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Feb 9 15:31:10 UTC 2012

On 9 Feb 2012, at 3:11, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2012, at 8:19, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I interact with a computer program by email (a Diplomacy judge to be
>> precise) that mangles text with accents. It seems it's because I send
>> the messages as utf 8 but it interprets and forwards them as
>> ISO-8859-1. Is there a way to tell MailMate to send a particular
>> message in a different encoding?
>
> No. I was also hoping such problems were an issue of the past.

That's a refreshing bit of optimism, but sadly it does not yet reflect
the real world. Despite a wealth of obviously right ways to do things
like picking a message charset and encoding, legacy code and sclerotic
wetware persist in perverse bugginess.

> At least, you are the first to ask about this. Any chance that this
> (serious) bug could be fixed in the receiving computer program?
>
> Anyone else on the list with similar problems?

Yes and no. I have not encountered this yet with MM because I had a very
slow transition from TBird, but there is a small subset of my *human*
correspondents whose mail clients know nothing of utf-8 and who instead
use either some Windows 'code page' (CP1252 being one, aka 'almost
Latin-1', but I've also had need to use Indian and Chinese encodings )
or can only handle pure ASCII as the Elder Gods intended. This only
forces me into a specific encoding randomly a few times per year but
when I need a non-utf-8 encoding, I REALLY need it. It would probably be
adequate for my needs to have a mode to force/squish/transliterate a
message into ASCII since even when I am mailing someone who prefers
Hindi or Cantonese, I am always only writing US English. (I am cultural
imperialism in action!)

--
Bill Cole