[MlMt] Is there a way to use always the widescreen-layout?

Niels Kobschätzki niels at kobschaetzki.de
Wed Apr 11 20:18:18 UTC 2012

On 11 Apr 2012, at 20:57, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2012, at 20:17, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>
>> MailMate has loads of different views. Unfortunately a lot of them
>> switch MailMate away from the widescreen-layout (three vertical
>> panes). Is there a way to have all views in the widescreen layout?
>
> Not easily. The widescreen layout was created, because a user asked
> for it. I kind of think of all of the layouts as proof-of-concepts,
> that is, they are examples of what can be done with the layout system
> (each layout is defined using a plist file). It would be nice if some
> of the characteristics of these layouts were more orthogonal. For
> example, that widescreen style or thread arcs could be
> enabled/disabled for each layout. Some day I would like to revisit how
> this works.
>
> So, the only way to get widescreen layout for some of the other
> layouts is to copy and change them. Unfortunately that means that if I
> change one of the default layouts then that change is not going to be
> seen in the copied layouts. Here are some resources if you would like
> to explore this part of MailMate:
>
> 	http://manual.mailmate-app.com/customization#layouts
> 	http://blog.freron.com/2010/widescreen-layout/

Just wow, I didn't expect that you can go that far in customizing
MailMate…

>> I noticed that switching via the menu/shortcuts switches the layout
>> while switching via the buttons in the toolbar doesn't switch
>> layouts.
>
> The buttons in the toolbar are not related to layouts. They are
> special searches for related messages.

It's irritating that in the menu a Correspondence-layout exists and that
the Correspondence-button in the toolbar do two different things (the
same for thread-arcs and the Thread-button).

Maybe renaming them would be good? But I have no suggestions right now
what better names would be :(

Niels