[MlMt] Is there a way to use always the widescreen-layout?

Wed Apr 11 18:57:13 UTC 2012

On 11 Apr 2012, at 20:17, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:

> MailMate has loads of different views. Unfortunately a lot of them
> switch MailMate away from the widescreen-layout (three vertical
> panes). Is there a way to have all views in the widescreen layout?

Not easily. The widescreen layout was created, because a user asked for
it. I kind of think of all of the layouts as proof-of-concepts, that is,
they are examples of what can be done with the layout system (each
layout is defined using a plist file). It would be nice if some of the
characteristics of these layouts were more orthogonal. For example, that
widescreen style or thread arcs could be enabled/disabled for each
layout. Some day I would like to revisit how this works.

So, the only way to get widescreen layout for some of the other layouts
is to copy and change them. Unfortunately that means that if I change
one of the default layouts then that change is not going to be seen in
the copied layouts. Here are some resources if you would like to explore
this part of MailMate:

	http://manual.mailmate-app.com/customization#layouts
	http://blog.freron.com/2010/widescreen-layout/

> I noticed that switching via the menu/shortcuts switches the layout
> while switching via the buttons in the toolbar doesn't switch layouts.

The buttons in the toolbar are not related to layouts. They are special
searches for related messages.