[MlMt] Default from address

Steve Hodgson steve at shodgson.org.uk
Wed Oct 5 17:27:15 UTC 2011

On 4 Oct 2011, at 13:00, mailmate-request at lists.freron.com wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2011, at 22:06, Steve Hodgson wrote:
>

>> When I send messages with MailMate the 'from' address occasionally
>> varies and I've not been able to determine the pattern that governs
>> this. Is there a predefined criteria depending on what folder or
>> source one starts from?
>

> For new messages (I assume you are not asking about replies) the
> identity used for the default From header is based on the currently
> selected message and if such a message does not exist then it is based
> on the bottom-most message displayed in the outline. This last part
> is
> actually a bug (fixed now) since it should take the sorting of the
> outline into account (I have the newest message at the bottom myself).

There are two problems I typically experience currently. I should
probably say that I have three accounts; IMAP, Gmail and MobileMe - of
which I use the last one very rarely. My default would generally be to
use my IMAP (Fastmail) account and then the other two only rarely, or
where replying to messages sent those accounts.

Often I find that when I create messages from my unread folder I end up
using another account from the one I expect and I can understand that
now. In my case it appears to also use the newest message which is
sorted to appear at the top. What I don't like about this arrangement is
that's it's not always predictable what account will be used.

What I have noticed is that treating a new mail message from a
sub-folder within SOURCES will generally use the parent account but just
occasionally but just occasionally seems unable to pick-up the account
name and just shows the account address but not the name. This hasn't
been repeatable through.

Cheers,

Steve