[MlMt] MailMate event scripts

Helge Andre Gudmundsen helgeg at helgegudmundsen.com
Sun May 15 14:16:12 UTC 2011

Thanks for the debug variable, which confirms that the scripts actually
trigger.

>> In the meantime I have found out that my script actually triggers,
>> but that MailMate does not play any sounds whatsoever on my system.
>> Could be a configuration issue on my end, so I will look into it.
>
> Does this include sounds configured in Preferences (for Sent Message
> and Counters)?

Yup, no sound plays even when configured in Preferences. FWIW, I have an
external audio interface installed in addition to the Mac System Audio,
however, System Audio is configured to go through the internal speakers.
One additional detail: when selecting the sound in the Preferences
dialog, it plays, but when new mail arrives there is only silence.
Anyway, the sounds in themselves are not important, I only wanted to
make sure that the script was triggering.

>> This leads me to two further questions. Will it be possible to have a
>> script trigger on the receipt of new messages and pass the subject
>> and body on to a shell script?
>
> It is not currently possible, but I would like it to be possible. I'll
> think about how it can be implemented. Let me know if you have any
> particular requirements.

Thanks for looking into this, it is much appreciated. I have to say I am
very happy that I found MailMate, it is an excellent mail client. I was
thinking about moving to a terminal based client (mutt), but MailMate
fills my needs, and lets me stay in the regular OSX environment.

> I can add that I also think it should be possible to trigger such
> scripts on selected messages. (I cannot give you a time frame though,
> but interesting use cases are always an inspiration.)

Glad to hear it!

Best regards,
Helge