[MlMt] Helping MailMate and TaskPaper get along for better living

Mon Dec 12 08:03:51 UTC 2011

On 12 Dec 2011, at 4:28, Emory L. wrote:

> *Not sure if replying to the digest post from Amiram will wreck
> threading for people, swapping the subject line out and giving it a
> try.*

Well, it was the message from Amiram which broke the threading, because
MailMate uses the `Message-ID` of the digest email which is unrelated to
the `Message-ID` of the original thread.

I have never looked into the digest format, but IF the format contains
all the message ids of the original messages (and their subjects) then
it may be possible to introduce a feature in MailMate where the user is
asked which message is the original. Then the correct `Subject` and
`Message-ID` header could be inserted by MailMate. This would be a
so-called blue sky feature :-) And it is very likely that other
meta-data is lost (such as format=flowed and use of Markdown).

In general: I continue to recommend not using the digest format (unless
you only read emails and never write). Note that threads of no interest
can be muted (“Message ▸ Mute”) which means that any new messages
are automatically moved to the same location as the muted parent. (But
that is also going to break when someone replies to a digest.)

> I haven't played with that much but when I CopyasLink I get a message
> URL in my clipboard like this:
>
> 	message://%3c201112100021.asdfasdf@asdferasdasef%3e
>
> and then clicking that opens the message even if I have subsequently
> Archived it or saved it to another folder like a yearly archive
> folder.

Just to confirm: This works no matter where the message is located. The
only problem can be if a duplicate of the message exists. The value used
in the URL is simply the `Message-ID` header of the message. It could
also be stated as:

	message://<201112100021.asdfasdf@asdferasdasef>

It is, by the way, used by Apple Mail which is why I use by default, but
it is essentially the same as the standardized [`mid:` URL
scheme](http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2392). MailMate supports the
`message:`, `mid:`, and `cid:` URL schemes.