[MlMt] Helping MailMate and TaskPaper get along for better living

Thu Dec 8 22:26:54 UTC 2011

On 8 Dec 2011, at 5:38, Emory L. wrote:

> I'm really delighted to have Markdown working so well in MailMate, as
> you'll soon realize.

Thanks, it's nice to see it in use.

> I could use some help or feedback in how to integrate MailMate with
> Taskpaper from Hog Bay Software.  And to be blunt, it doesn't have to
> work with Taskpaper as much as the Taskpaper files or be able to hand
> things off to osascript(1) for insert.
>
> I have some ideas about how it could or should work, but I don't know
> how to implement this best or if it would be something I'd have to ask
> Benny for as a feature enhancement.

It would certainly be much easier when I have implemented two things:

* some way to run a command/script where the command can be given the
identity of selected message(s)
* some way to retrieve information about messages based on their
identity

The first part is not implemented yet, but it is high-priority item.

The latter is implemented in an experimental state as an http server
with a so-called RESTful service (described in the release notes only),
but I'm going to make some changes to that interface, so you cannot
really rely on it yet.

You could probably make something work using “Edit ▸ Copy as Link”
and maybe “Message ▸ Show in Finder”. The command line program
(`emate`) is not going to be useful. Think of it as a debug utility.

The easiest thing to do is probably to wait for me to implement the
items noted above, but you are of course welcome to try and see how far
you can get with the existing version of MailMate.