[MlMt] messages re-sort when marked as read

Mike Karels mike at karels.net
Mon Mar 25 13:41:53 EDT 2024

I have a relatively new problem that I first observed with version 6015, which I ran for quite a while.  It still happens with 6028.  I sort messages by Date Received, newest at the bottom.  I often receive multiple duplicate messages (e.g. on multiple mailing lists, or on a mailing list and direct to me).  When I select the first of those messages, and it marks itself as read after a couple of seconds, the message drops below the unread copies.  If I'm stepping through the inbox in order, suddenly I have to back up to select the other copies and delete the dups.  If I'm not paying attention, I end up with left-over unread messages.

The only thing that changed in the general timeframe when I noticed the problem was that I upgraded my mail server to a FreeBSD version with a newer sendmail.  Of course, MailMate doesn't talk directly to sendmail for incoming mail.  The IMAP server is dovecot.

I'm running Sonoma 14.4 on an Intel MacBook Pro.  I think the problem started with the previous version of Sonoma.

Any thoughts or workarounds?

Thanks,
		Mike