[MlMt] Use an SMTP server without an associated IMAP server?

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin at pobox.com
Wed Mar 13 06:14:22 EDT 2024

On 11 Mar 2024, at 8:16, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2024-03-07 00:06:49 (+0800), Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:
>> What I really want is to have more than one SMTP server associated with my main IMAP account, and select the outgoing server based on my From: address.  I don't think there's a way to do that?
>
> There is ... but it's a bit fiddly.  As far as I can tell, it's not officially documented anywhere, but Benny is very good at not breaking things.
>
> I don't know how I figured this out...

Philip - that's brilliant!  Thank you very much!

>> Interestingly Fastmail do provide exactly this facility in their (very good) webmail interface, but when I tried switching to that, I realised that, good as it is, it isn't Mailmate... :-)
>
> Fastmail is smart enough to use the correct SMTP server even when you send from MailMate. :-)

Ah...  Are you saying that, now I have it set up on Fastmail, if I send through their SMTP server they will proxy to the appropriate third-party one?  If so, that's brilliant, and means I don't need to bother with this!

(I could just try it and look at the resulting headers, but I didn't want to undo the nice system you've helped me set up yet!)

All the best,
Quentin