[MlMt] Use an SMTP server without an associated IMAP server?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Mon Mar 11 04:16:46 EDT 2024

On 2024-03-07 00:06:49 (+0800), Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:
> What I really want is to have more than one SMTP server associated
> with my main IMAP account, and select the outgoing server based on my
> From: address.  I don't think there's a way to do that?

There is ... but it's a bit fiddly.  As far as I can tell, it's not
officially documented anywhere, but Benny is very good at not breaking
things.

I don't know how I figured this out.  The archives of this mailing list,
presumably. :)

You need to set this up with MailMate closed.

1. Add to ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Submission.plist

    {   name = "Some name that makes sense to you";
        serverURL = "smtp://username@smtp.example.net";
    },

    The plist may be in another format (xml, json...).  If it's a binary
file,
    use plutil(1) to convert it to a plain text format.  Whatever format
the
    file is in, check it with "plutil -lint Submission.plist" after
changing.

2. Add to ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Identities.plist

    {   emailAddresses = "username at example.net";
        name = "Example User";
        serverURL = [copy this from your existing identity];
        smtp = "smtp://username@example.net";
    },

    This file may also be in a different format.  Follow whatever format
it's
    in and check with "plutil -lint Identities.plist" after making
changes.

3. Maybe optional ... maybe not ... enable an SMTP server dropdown

    Run "defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmSMTPAlternativeEnabled
-bool YES"

    This will add a new dropdown to pick the SMTP server in the editor.
In
    theory, with the configuration above, MailMate should be smart
enough to
    pick smtp.example.net when you send mail from user at example.net, but
    this lets you pick the server explicitly.

    If the selector gets in your way, and it looks like MailMate is
smart
    enough, you can disable this again after testing.

> Interestingly Fastmail do provide exactly this facility in their (very
> good) webmail interface, but when I tried switching to that, I
> realised that, good as it is, it isn't Mailmate... :-)

Fastmail is smart enough to use the correct SMTP server even when you
send from MailMate. :-)

Philip