[MlMt] Problems with Outlook (Microsoft Windows Live) email sources?

John Cooper mailmate2 at coopercontent.com
Thu Jan 25 10:20:11 EST 2024

Henry Seiden wrote (at 6:30 AM on Thursday, January 25, 2024):

> It seems to me when attempting to log in the IMAP account in
> auto-configure mode, that it’s a security thing with Windows Live.
> The auto-configure uses new IMAP Server names (outlook.office365.com,
> attempting to share with online windows Live accounts according to the
> display in MM). The popup (see pic) failed to resolve to a working
> browser page (blank popup window appears and disappears with no
> details, so the auto-configure is stuck.
>
> Using the previous setup in IMAP Servers with Mail (IMAP server,
> mail.outlook.com, etc.) but it’s a no-go in MM for unknown reasons.
> Works in Mail but occasionally needs refresh to stay connected. While
> connected I can send and receive test messages.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Henry Seiden
> - -
> Techworks Pro Co.
> E: info<at>techworkspro<dot>com
> W: http://techworkspro.com
>
> On 25 Jan 2024, at 9:01, Henry Seiden wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I’ve been having issues with maintaining a connection to IMAP
>> account at outlook.com server. It will often come up with a LOGIN
>> FAIL error in Mailmate r6015-6018.
>>
>> Using MM on a MBP 2021 M1 Pro (APPLE SILICON). What I have tried so
>> far:
>> 1. Compare to other accounts on the same machine and MM installation.
>> All other accounts seem fine.
>> 2. Tried to reset password on Outlook source IMAP settings, which
>> doesn’t do the trick. Neither does completely replacing the Source
>> account, logging it in.
>> 3. Checked against different OS installations, different computers
>> and comparing with Mail.app.
>>
>> Have the Outlook account which is seldom active except for testing,
>> turned off. Waiting to hear from anyone using Outlook. I am aware
>> that Microsoft has recent change their app to “New Outlook” and
>> wonder if that is something related… Anyone else? Also sent Benny
>> Feedback to see his take on this. Appreciate any of your input here.

Henry,

I'm no Outlook expert, but it strikes me that you've tried a lot of
tweaking of MailMate, but haven't done much on the Outlook side. Have
you tried logging into Outlook via the Web, confirming its settings,
resetting its password, and so on?

Since Apple Mail is also struggling to stay connected to Outlook, signs
point to an issue on Outlook's side. I would start by confirming
Outlook's configuration without getting MailMate involved. Then when
you're sure it's correct, go back to MailMate and try setting up the
account again.

John