[MlMt] Threads and Sent Messages

devynosborne at gmail.com devynosborne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:41:47 EST 2024

Hello!

MaiMate newbie here again, this time with a question about the
[hidden](https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences)
[preference](https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/213)
to store a sent message with the message to which it is a reply. I’m a
little uncertain if this will do what I want, without adverse affects
that I haven’t considered.

Basically, I always want to see the total thread, no matter how I get to
the individual message.

As it is now, in my initial poking around MM, the messages in threads
are mostly shown separately (eg, in Inbox and Sent Messages). The only
place I see a complete thread is in All Messages. In my day-to-day, if I
look in my Inbox or even Sent, I want to see the thread, so 1) I know
that I did reply, 2) I can refer to what I and others wrote, and 3)
easily reply again if I need to pester somebody about my last unanswered
reply.  :-)

Is this the right setting?

What is the argument to *not* use this? I guess I’m so used to
organizing by thread (which I have turned on in MM), it’s hard for me
to imagine emails otherwise.

I’m also unclear about the address completion setting. Does that just
mean that MM may not have access to all previously used addresses in
order to suggest them again? I don’t think that’s so critical, as I
mostly email people in my Contacts.

Last, I’m also unclear on this setting:
> The same can be done with the following preference which completely
> changes what is shown in the “Sent Messages” standard mailbox.
> This is convenient if sent messages are not kept in dedicated
> mailboxes:
>
> defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmSentMailbox -string
> 8F9C1062-E4F8-4949-B5DC-BAB7CDEC4110
>
> The value given should be the UUID of a mailbox. The UUID can be
> copied to the pasteboard using “Edit ▸ Copy” after selecting a
> mailbox.

I guess I use what’s called the “Sent Messages” standard mailbox.
That seems to me to be a dedicated mailbox, unless that means a Sent
mailbox that I have created? I don’t think I understand ‘“Sent
Messages” standard mailbox’ vs ‘dedicated mailbox’.

If it helps / matters, I don’t really use tags or folders. I mostly
use Gmail, and do use its Important tag (which I figured out how to map
properly in MM), but otherwise don’t tag or reorganize emails.

I appreciate any guidance and hand holding here!

Devyn