[MlMt] Exclude from Backup / Time Machine

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Sep 14 09:14:12 EDT 2023

On 2023-09-14 at 07:56:03 UTC-0400 (Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:56:03 +0200)
Michael Nietzold <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I'm trying to determine which folders I can safely exclude from a Time
> Machine backup...
>
> I haven't been able to locate any official documentation on this. I've
> come across some messages on the mailing list, but they don't offer
> clear advice either.
>
> I would expect an info in this section of the MailMate Manual:
> https://manual.mailmate-app.com/rebuild
>
> Below are my current directories...
>
> - Are there any other important directories located elsewhere?

Everything specific to MM is in ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate
except for a .plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/

> - Is it safe to exclude both Messages.noindex/ and Messages/?

Since Messages/ is just a symbolic link to Messages.noindex/, you don't
need to be concerned with it.

You are probably good with excluding Messages.noindex/ because in
principle it is just a copy of messages on your various accounts' IMAP
servers. In principle, you can recover all of your messages by
downloading them all again. In practice, that is not only viable, it is
likely to be faster than restoring from TimeMachine, which is
spectacularly slow. It is also relatively slow to back up because of the
interaction between its storage model and how TM does incremental
backup.

> - Additionally, I've heard suggestions about excluding
> Database.noindex/. Would this be advisable?

Yes. It is huge and constantly in flux with some very large files
getting small changes every time a message is retrieved or deleted. If
you do not back up Messages and rely on your IMAP servers in  the event
of needing a restore,  the Database folder (which contains all of the
indexing MM uses for search) would be entirely rebuilt anyway as
messages are retrieved. I suspect (but only Benny could confirm) that
even if you backed up both Messages and Database, the restore from TM
would not work due to file->inode mapping being changed. (arcane
technical issue...) It is my belief that if you did restore both the
messages and their index together, MM would ask at startup how you want
to rebuild the database (from local messages or re-fetch.)

The TL;DR version: I exclude both of the big directories and have never
regretted it. Restore from IMAP works and unless you have a huge mailbox
on a rate-limited server (e.g. freebie GMail) it is adequately fast.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire