[MlMt] Single pixel images warning

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Oct 15 12:01:04 EDT 2023

On 2023-10-15 at 08:50:54 UTC-0400 (Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:50:54 -0400)
William Allen <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I’m a new and so far happy user of Mailmate. When I’m looking at a
> new mail that has images, sometimes I actually do want to download
> those images. I’m really happy that MM 1) gives the option and 2)
> gives me an idea that some of them might be unsavory (i.e. “strictly
> blocked”), but the last couple of messages that I have downloaded
> from I’ve gotten the warning that there were 1 pixel images
> downloaded - after I did the download. I can’t think of any valid
> reason for a single pixel image. Shouldn’t there be a warning about
> them before the download? Or maybe better, shouldn’t they be counted
> among the strictly blocked?

It is not generally possible to determine that a referenced one-pixel
image is a  one-pixel image without fetching it, at which point the game
is lost. HTML does not require that all IMG tags must have size
attributes and incorrect height and width must be accommodated, so a
sender could just give bogus dimensions in the tag to avoid blocking.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire