[MlMt] Is Benny Ok?

Thu Jun 8 07:31:36 EDT 2023

On 24 May 2023, at 16:08, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> The new better (cleaner/robust/faster?) implementation means that I'll
> now be able to, finally, add the option of a single column message
> list. This part is not fully implemented yet, but I believe I'm
> relatively close to being able to release a crude first shot at it.

This first shot is now available as a direct download only:
[MailMate_r5965.tbz](https://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5965.tbz)

It's a major update (with respect to code changes) and I'm a bit worried
about the number of bugs possibly introduced (write me via “Help >
Send Feedback”). The message list is almost completely rewritten even
though it should essentially look the same as before.

It does, experimentally, support a single column mode. This is a bit
cumbersome to try out for now though. You'll have to enable the new
“Standard Single Column” and then disable the other columns, but
this should then work well in the Widescreen layout. I'd also recommend
disabling the alternate row coloring option in the Viewer preferences
pane.

Some very low level hints below for those who love tinkering with things
while also being willing to break them.

---

There's a new settings file which is mostly identical to the one used by
the old message list. It's located here:

	MailMate.app/Contents/Resources/MmMessageListView/outlineColumns.plist

This can be extended by creating this path and file:

	/Users/<username>/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/MmMessageListView/outlineColumns.plist

Example content could then be (this is identical to the current
default):

```
{
	columns =
	{
		mycustomcolumn = {
			title = "Custom Single Column";
			type = "multivalue";
			sortKey = "#date-received";
			minimumWidth = 200;

			layout = {
				leftAligned = (
					( { columnKey = "read"; }, { columnKey = "security"; }, { columnKey
= "correspondent"; /*minimumWidth = 200.0;*/ }, ),
					( { columnKey = "flag"; }, { columnKey = "short_tags"; }, {
columnKey = "subject"; }, ),
				);
				rightAligned = (
					( { columnKey = "date"; }, ),
					( { columnKey = "size"; }, { columnKey = "attachments"; }, ),
				);
			};
		};
	};
}
```

The column keys are used to “reuse” the values defined for other
columns. It's also possible to have inline formatting of other values,
but I haven't really tested that.

There's also another new settings file:

	MailMate.app/Contents/Resources/MmMessageListView/rowActions.plist

This can be copied and then altered in the following location:

	/Users/<username>/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/MmMessageListView/rowActions.plist

This will allow custom swiping actions to be defined. Note that these
are currently only available multi-value columns. (I guess that could be
optional.)