[MlMt] local folders

Jolin Warren jolinwarren+mailmate at oakandapple.org
Fri Jun 2 16:16:26 EDT 2023

On 31 May 2023, at 2:24, Pierre Igot wrote:
> I wouldn’t describe it as “low effort” for Mac users who are not that comfortable with Unix stuff.

Agreed, comfort with the Unix underpinnings is likely needed. I was describing it as ‘low effort’ in the context of Randy saying, ‘i use dovecot on real servers’.

On 31 May 2023, at 2:24, Pierre Igot wrote:
> c) For the user name, the instructions say “Account ID: Whatever username you like”, but it doesn’t specify if there is any connection to whatever the user might have put in the “Email Address(es)” field above.
>
> d) The instructions don’t say if the SMTP server section can be left entirely blank. (Again, “Require SSL” is checked by default.)

If you ever look into this again, the email address and SMTP server are irrelevant as this account will never be used for sending messages. I’ve left both of mine blank.

On 31 May 2023, at 9:16, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:
> This has changed since I originally wrote the post in 2014  without me noticing it. Removed it now, thanks.

Fredrik, thank you both for writing the post originally and for keeping it up to date. I am indebted to you – it’s exactly what I needed to be able to switch to MailMate a few years ago, and I’m not sure I would have attempted setting up Dovecot without your guide. Thank you for taking the time to document it!

--
=> Jolin