[MlMt] Show "standard" from/subject/date/to headers in replies instead of reply sentence

Pete Resnick resnick at episteme.net
Tue Jul 18 14:38:15 EDT 2023

On 18 Jul 2023, at 11:25, Topher Buck wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I’d like to change the format of replies to show
>
> `From:`
> `Subject:`
> `Date:`
> `To:`
>
> instead of the
>
> `On [date] at [time] [name <address>] wrote:`
>
> reply sentence. I have looked at
> https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences but don’t see
> anything there that seems to answer my question.
>
> Is this possible?

First let me say that it makes me cry that you want to do this, because
it means that you have eschewed inline editing of replies, which every
right-thinking email user should do. But since I am merely tilting at a
windmill, you want something like this:

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmReplyWroteString -string '> From:
${from}\n> Subject:\n${subject}\n> Date: ${date}\n> To: ${to}'

The only real problem I saw with the above is that a long Subject will
end up wrapping to the next line in a weird way. Perhaps there's some
way to hack around with that. But that will mostly get you what you
want.

😢

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best